Monday, April 16, 2012

Will my computer run a DDR3 Video card?

I have a mainboard running integrated graphics (ATI 3200 Chipset) and DDR2 Ram, I'm looking at fitting a dedicated card but I'm not sure if I'll be able to run one that had DDR3 Memory, as most recent cards are DDR3 or later, some are DDR5.



Anyone know whether I will be able to run a DDR3 card with my DDR2 ram?|||To answer your question I would need an answer to these questions:



What is the motherboard that you have?

Do you have PCI-E 16 slot?

What is the power output of your power supply?|||Hey I'm sorry to tell you, it is never reccomended to install extra components to pre-built systems like computers made by Acer or Dell or HP. The problem is that they built computers from really really cheap parts and you might break your computer. That said I did use PCI-E cards it Dell computers.

Report Abuse


|||So in theory from what you told me you should have no problems using a good video card in your system, however you will void your warrenty and you migt break your computer if your card draws too much power. If it was me I would try it ;)

Report Abuse


|||Thanks for following up. My power supply is adequate and the computer is 2 years old so the warranty has been void for a while :) It should be okay.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment