Thursday, April 26, 2012

Can I run a ddr3 Video Card on my motherboard?

I have a Gygabite GA-945GCM-SC2 mobo and I was running an Nvidia 8600GT vid card on a PCI-E slot.

Here's a link to my borad: http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2668&ProductName=GA-945GCM-S2C

It died on me, and I was looking at newer cards but theyre DDR3.

That card I was running was DDR2 and I'm unsure if I could run the newer DDR3 Cards.

Please, anyone with some insight.

Thanks,

-Kyle|||Video RAM is completely separate of system RAM, so no problems running a GDDR3 video card. They even have graphics cards with GDDR5, but desktop RAM only goes up to DDR3.|||DDR3 shouldn't be a problem, but if you check at newegg.com you can find gddr2 cards out there for your mobo.|||That will run just fine. The memory on your GPU doesn't have anything to do with the memory on your mobo. Just make sure your PSU is suffecient (im sure it is, but you should check anyway)



Good Luck and Best of Wishes

--Odameyer

No comments:

Post a Comment