Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ddr3 video card with a ddr2 ram?

Sooo I bought all of the necessary computer parts about 5 days ago with the help of an employee. I have a motherboard that can handle both ddr2 and ddr3. The thing is, all of my other parts I have are ddr2 BUT I noticed that the graphics card is ddr3. Now, since the employee helped me choose it with the knowledge that I wanted something ddr2 and that my motherboard can handle ddr2 and ddr3, I'm inclined to think that it'll work. But my brother told me that the motherboard can go only one way; either ddr3 or ddr3. Who am I to believe?



btw my motherboard is a ep45-ds3r|||I believe what your brother was referring to was that you can use DDR2 RAM OR DDR3 RAM ... not both at the same time.



As has already been stated, a video card with DDR3 RAM bears no resemblance to having DDR2 RAM on your motherboard. It will still work fine.|||Graphics cards memory standards are seperate from that of the motherboard. You can have a Motherboard with DDR2 and have a GDDR5 type memory graphics card on it.



Memory type only matters for RAM, because the RAM slots are different for DDR2 and DDR3 (along with voltages, but that is a finer, obscure topic for later).



And I do not recall a graphics card with DDR3. Are you sure it is not GDDR3?|||The RAM on the video card is COMPLETELY separate from the rest of the system. It's true that the RAM on the motherboard can only go one way, either DDR2 or DDR3, but since the video card's ram is completely separate, it doesn't matter one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment